My classic pea and broccoli soup with a m0dern touch, I can promise absolute deliciousness and great textures with the addition of crispy bacon, peas, caramelized onions and leeks.
2 large broccoli, roughly chopped
300gm frozen peas
1 leek, sliced
2 large brown onion
3 garlic, finely sliced
1 bay leaf
300ml pouring cream
Salt & Pepper
8 slices bacon, cut into small strips
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 leek,thinly sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
200gm peas, blanched
To serve (optional)
Ricotta or cream fraiche
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat olive oil up in a large pot on medium heat and sweat down onions, leeks and garlic stirring constantly, try not let any colour produce as you want to cook until they are opaque and now raw.
2. Add stock, water and bring to the boil, add broccoli, bay leaf and cream, turn the heat down to low and cook on a slow simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked.
3. Add frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes or until the peas are done, do not over cook because you don’t want to loose the chlorophyl from the peas (you want your soup to remain a beautiful green colour).
4. Meanwhile prepare your garnish, fry of bacon to desired crispness and set aside.
5. In the same pan, heat olive oil on low heat and fry off onions and leeks with sugar, cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until onions and leeks are a brown colour.
6. Blanch peas in salty water or microwave, set aside.
7. Remove bay leaves and blend the whole mixture (the soup will produce a light foam on top you can scoop this out or sieve the mixture if you want your soup to be smoother), season well with salt and pepper.
Serve with salt, cracked pepper, garnishes and chosen condiments.