Philip Johnson’s light Lychee mousse with pineapple and passionfruit is a perfect Asian inspired dessert to follow any main. I served this dessert with my recipe for lychee sesame crisp.
450g castor sugar
80gm glucose syrup
2 cans lychees, separated from syrup
5 titanium strength gelatine sheets, soaked in cold water and squeezed out
2 egg whites
260ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
½ Pineapple, core removed, finely diced
2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
double cream, mixed with 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
Lychee Sesame Crisp
80gm caster sugar
2 tablespoon lychee syrup
40gm Sesame seeds
40gm melted unsalted butter
1. Combine the sugar, glucose and water in a saucepan and over medium heat bring to the boil, put aside and let cool.
2. Puree lychees in a food processor.
3. Take a small amount of the Lychee puree and heat in a saucepan with gelatin, whisking to dissolve, and then mix into the remaining lychee puree.
4. At this stage you need to make an Italian meringue, measure 125ml of sugar syrup and heat in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil, reduce the heat for a slow simmer stirring constantly for 5 minutes or the heat reaches up to 120c (soft ball stage).
5. Meanwhile an electric mixture beat egg whites to hard peaks.
6. Once the sugar syrup has reaches softball stage in a steady stream add syrup to egg whites and whisk until mixture has cooled.
7. Gradually fold egg whites to lychee puree then into the lightly whisked cream.
8. Divide amongst 6 glasses and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
9. Serve with cream, lychees, pineapple, passion fruit pulp and kaffir lime leaves.
Lychee Sesame Crisps
1. In a bowl combine sugar and lychee syrup and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. In a bowl mix together sesame seeds and flour, make a well in the middle and add melted butter and lychee mixture.
3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Pre heat the oven to 170c. Using a spatula, smear a thin layer (I made mine into circles) of the mixture onto greaseproof paper. Bake for 7 – 10 minutes or until golden crispy. When the Sesame Crips are still warm cut into perfect shapes (optional).